Lucy Tate is on the run. After witnessing the brutal murder of her parents, she's spent five years in hiding -- taking on different personas and faking her way through life. The authorities can't be trusted, so she remains in the shadows, always one beat ahead of the man who is forever hunting her. That is, until she meets Zach Schultz, a senior at Monte Vista High and the one guy she can’t bear to leave. Suddenly her natural instincts to lie, steal, and run are overshadowed by something else...the desire to stay. It’s her one shot at a normal life. Curious by nature, Zach is immediately drawn to the new girl at school. How can a person look both confident and vulnerable all in the same moment? Determined to learn more about her, he tries to get close, but is thrown into a world of lies and confusion .The only thing that becomes apparent is that discovering the truth may get him killed.
A Few of Zach's Favorite Things
Zach is such a great guy. One of the things I love about him the most, is that he's not your A-typical high school senior...well, not the ones we see depicted in movies anyway. He's not your tall, dashing heroic type. He has the heart of a lion, but he's short in stature. He's strong, but not bulky with muscles. He has a bunch of quirky friends who I adore. He wants to do really well at school. He knows exactly what he wants to become and he's pretty focussed on getting there. I really like him...a lot, and I hope you fall for his sweet ways as much as I did.
So - a few of Zach's favorite things...
1. Hanging out with his friends. His four friends mean the world to him. They are a quirky group of misfits who are loyal to each other. They hang out both in school and on the weekends. They love each other like family. They laugh together, cry together and are there for each other no matter what.
2. Watching the Discovery Channel. He always gets hassled for this one, but he really loves watching documentaries. He finds them fascinating and loves all the cool facts he learns. His general knowledge is pretty amazing, which is why he's so good at Trivial Pursuit.
3. Swimming. It's his favorite form of exercise and he likes to be able to challenge himself. He swims laps before school and tries to beat his previous time each morning.
4. People watching. Zach is really observant and he loves to watch the world move around him. He likes to make up stories for people, figure out what makes them tick...why do they dress and act the way they do? What's caused a certain expression? He always likes to dig a little deeper and work out the story.
5. Problem solving and puzzles. Zach's always been good at thinking outside the box. He loves working out riddles, fiddling with those tricky puzzles like Rubik's cubes. The harder, the better - he loves a good challenge.
About the author:
Melissa Pearl was born in Auckland, New Zealand, but has spent much of her life abroad, living in countries such as Jordan, Cyprus and Pakistan… not to mention a nine month road trip around North America with her husband. “Best. Year. Ever!!” She now lives in China with her husband and two sons. She is a trained elementary teacher, but writing is her passion. Since becoming a full time mother she has had the opportunity to pursue this dream and her debut novel hit the internet in November 2011. Since then she has produced four more books and has a YA fantasy trilogy coming out this year. Unknown and Unseen (The Elements Trilogy) out now!
“I am passionate about writing. It stirs a fire in my soul that I never knew I had. I want to be the best writer I can possibly be and transport my readers into another world where they can laugh, cry and fall in love.”