<>

Albert Camus

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Monday, December 9, 2019

REVIEW Keep dreaming big - Twas the Night by marin

The illustrations gift each reader, young and young at heart, the opportunity to reimagine the Season’s wonder, and the freedom “to script” (if they choose to) their own lines to go with the images.



REVIEW:

I think that this time, the blurb says it all: this is a heartwarming story.

Story which in the absence of words must be transmitted only through imagines. And, even if the first imagines, a mix between photographs and drawings, are not usually my favorite, they serve their purpose to transport us from reality (objective-photos and subjective- drawings) to the heart of the story expressed through drawings and this way into the boy's dream. The author uses every detail to bring the information needed to complete the story. As the end comes, the reality is mixed again with the dream world and the combination between photos and drawings reappears.

All these together succeed to convey emotions. The reader gets enough liberty to interpret in its own way the denouement.

I think that older kids will enjoy alone the Twas the Night, but the youngest will need their parents in order to fully understand it. But what is better than to learn together about goodness, dreams, and hope?  Maybe Santa exists and he brings the gift each of us needs.

A "wordless" book that “tells” a heartwarming and inspirational story, indeed.
Enjoy!

Description:

‘TWAS THE NIGHT is a wordless book that “tells” a heartwarming and inspirational Christmas story. The illustrations gift each reader, young and young at heart, the opportunity to reimagine the Season’s wonder, and the freedom “to script” (if they choose to) their own lines to go with the images. Keep dreaming big


My name is Marin and I was a child a very long time ago. My father passed away when I was one year old. My mother remarried and I was raised by my loving (but strict!) grandparents. After losing their son, they were terrified by the thought of losing their grandson. For this reason, they didn’t let me play on the street, swim in the nearby pond or explore the forest with the rest of the kids. This was also the reason I learned to read and write long before I went to school. My grandparents surrounded me with books. Books became my imaginary parents and my fictional friends. Apart from my genetic building blocks, books also came to be the main component in my development as a creative, compassionate and competitive individual.

I studied nuclear physics, art, and literature, but I enjoyed art the most. As a young artist, I was eager to succeed, winning prizes from various countries. I later became a partner in an advertising agency and switched my attention to serving clients. My last award was somewhere in the early nineties – The Best in the West by Corel Draw Corporation.

Oh, a few more boring things about me: I do not drive, I do not drink carbonated beverages, I have never consumed food from McDonald’s, Burger King, KFC or any other fast food restaurant, I do not have a mobile phone, I have never used legal or illegal drugs (except Gravol when I fly), and I have never visited my GP (much to the disapproval of my wife).

I read. I read every day. I am what I am today because of books. This publishing house is my little “thank you” to all of them.


No comments: