<>

Albert Camus

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Excerpt -Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out by Pandora Poikilos

Description:

Anya Michaels is having the time of her life. She has the man of her dreams by her side. She has graduated at the top of her class. She has the job others were lining up for. Between late night drinks at her favourite bar and fancy dinners at the most expensive restaurants, she has a string of adoring friends. Everything changes when she hears the dreaded words, "You are sick." Being diagnosed with a rare neurological disorder, her world starts to fall apart, one piece at a time. Now dumped, her four year relationship is nothing but a memory filled with pictures, thoughts and a very broken heart. Her job becomes an even further challenge as she tries to hide her condition. Her friends suddenly have more important things to do, what is a party without a party girl? Perfect could not crumble any faster. Soon, caught between situations, people and pieces of life that she never dreamed of planning for herself, Anya begins to wonder if her brain condition is all that bad. As she absorbs the changes in her life and realization sets in, she begins to wonder if she is the only one saying: Excuse Me, My Brains Have Stepped Out.


   
Author Pandora Poikilos Pandora Poikilos has been writing for more than 10 years for various media which include newspapers, radio, television and various websites. A social media enthusiast who is passionate about blogging and finding her way around the virtual world, she wills away time in the real world by reading, writing and people watching.  


Excerpt:
I have come to understand that every once in a while in life we all have to do something because we must. It is not about what we want or how we would like it to be, it simply has to be done because it is necessary. Most times this will be a task that surpasses normal and not many people would choose to understand. But, done it must.

I have tried turning it all around, telling myself that ‘it is a small surgery’, ‘it is just a routine procedure’, ‘it is not necessarily a brain surgery’ but when a neurosurgeon sits down and talks about the risks and procedures of being in surgery, there is no other way of calling it, is there?

I Love You. The best relationships in our lives are the best not because they have been the happiest ones. They are that way because they have stayed strong through the worst storms and held hands during the happiest of springs.

These are the relationships between friends who stay when the rest of the world walks out. The family who holds you close and says, ‘it does not matter what others say, this is something we will get through together because there are no limits to how much we love you.’ And when these people say, ‘I Love You’, it is not because they have to, it is not because they could not order you roses from the best florist or because they need to say something to fill a void in conversation, they say it is because it is just that, Love.

No conditions, no smokescreens, just pure transparent, unconditional love given when you need it the most. As the Swedish proverb goes, ‘Love me when I least deserve it, because that is when I really need it.’

[...]

On another occasion, when I felt I could grab brain surgery by the horns, he has gently pointed out to me, ‘Sweetheart, it is a bit naive to think that you can bounce back just like that two weeks after brain surgery when people with broken legs take longer to heal, isn’t it?’ I won’t be jumping for joy every time I hear a ‘no’ from him but I also realise that he understands me enough to have a grasp of my limitations and when to reel me in from fantasy land.

There is only so much you can control in your own life, let alone someone else’s. Let it go. We are different for a reason. I think it is important to remember that we are individuals who have fallen in love, whose peculiar differences will make for a more interesting journey. After all, you can either be a pea or a carrot. You just cannot be both. Or in the spirit of one of the most memorable lines ever, ‘You complete me’ simply be the other half.

And there you have it, Dad. Obviously we have lots more to learn, loads more to laugh about and tons more for our journey. And no, I cannot make any guarantee that this will be a journey with blue skies, sunshine and flower strewn pathways. I am certain we will have our autumn days and winter moments. There will be minor irritations on days when I write ‘cake’ and he reads ‘biscuits’ or when he goes out to do something he will call fun and I will scream recklessness.

There will be many days and ways, boys will be boys. But there will also be those numerous, uncountable moments, when he will be a man, hold me close, give me kisses of hope and show me why him, me and ‘us’ are all worth fighting for.
 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sincer,pe mine nu ma atrage descrierea.Povesti obisnuite.

alexa ioana said...

nici genul meu de lectura nu este. nu e o carte foarte profunda, asa cum imi plac mie cartile in general

CCAM said...

Povesti obisnuite? Nu foarte profunda? Cred ca poza v-a indus in eroare.
O viata normala (chiar si superficiala) data peste cap de o boala a creierului consider ca ofera ocazia unei povesti care poate fi nu doar neobisnuita, dar si profunda.

Bineinteles ca pana nu o citesti nu poti spune cat de profunda e, dar asta e alta problema

Andreea Ilie said...

Deci,titlul e genial ;),iar despre poveste nu poti sa zici ca e obisnuita pana nu o citesti.Mie mi se pare o carte interesanta.Abia astept sa apara si la noi:D

~ I still hope !~ said...

Titlul e...bestial! :))) din descriere nu-mi pot face cine stie ce parere, mai intai sa apara la noi si dupa vine parerea :d...

Unknown said...

Mi-ar plăcea să încerc cartea, de ce nu ? ^-^
Dau șansei oricărei cărți :D !

Cristinab said...

dupa ce citesc descrierea am tendinta de a crede ca ar fi o carte amuzanta, adica in modul frumos umoristic si complicat al vietii, nici de cum o drama. iar coperta parca m-ar sustite :D

dupa ce am citit excerpt-ul [ceea ce mi se pare o idee excelenta cand trebuie prezentata o carte, uneori o monstra spune mai multe decat coperta sau descrierea] am ramas :| chiar trebuie citita, ar fi bine sa apara si la noi. cred ca avem nevoie si de un nou gen de lectura.
paragraful 3 si ultimul sunt minunate!