"In the armory, things can be convincing and impossible. Just like Elias."
Seventeen-year-old Marcella Jackoby’s bleak reality is altered when she encounters the apparition of a grieving bride wandering the deadly thirteen curves outside of Pennywright. Intent on capturing Marcella, the bride seeks to populate a mythical castle disguised as an abandoned armory, where young guests tirelessly battle an alliance of recluses in order to live with the promise of eternal youth and love.
Unaware of Elias Hawk’s efforts to safeguard her from untimely death, and in spite of the fact that he and the kids residing at the armory are not what they appear to be, Marcella falls for this enigmatic young man. As she uncovers Elias’s century-old secret, Marcella’s home life crumbles and an encounter with a roughneck adversary threatens her budding relationship and the existence of the armory’s residents, unintentionally leading Marcella to ignite war between the worlds, endangering the couple’s future in a shocking twist of fate.
Five truths behind
THE HAUNT OF THIRTEEN CURVES
1. THE HAUNT OF THIRTEEN CURVES was inspired by a haunting legend. I found inspiration to write the paranormal tale while tagging along with my husband, a local historian, when he visited cemeteries and local history sites. Over the years I heard accounts of suspicious happenings on the thirteen curves. Most of them involved a wandering ghost bride and kids with video cameras looking for a scary encounter.
2. My Scandinavian heritage finds a way into all of my stories. The abandoned Asgard Armory atop the thirteen curves is modeled after Valhalla, the castle in the sky. The roving bride who wanders the curves looking to collect “fallen soldiers” is inspired by the Valkyrie. Throughout the novel I use pieces of Norwegian folklore and mythology.
3. The heroine in THE HAUNT OF THIRTEEN CURVES is Marcella Jackoby. She’s named after a town called Marcellus in Central New York where the real thirteen curves can be found.
4. Writing about first love is my specialty and my passion. THE HAUNT OF THIRTEEN CURVES would not be a true young adult romance without the building anticipation, the tension, the butterflies…and the mind-blowing first kiss.
5. I’ve always wanted to write a character with an eye patch. THE HAUNT OF THIRTEEN CURVES gave me the opportunity to bring in a boy named Loring with a unique backstory. Despite his eye decoration, he’s well-suited to rival Elias Hawk, the main love interest, for Marcella’s attention.
About the author:
Jeanne Arnold is an author of young adult romance. At a young age she found her creative outlet in art, and for years her fictional characters came to life in drawings and paintings, until they demanded a voice. Now they grace the pages of her stories. Jeanne shares her time with her fictional teenage counterparts and her human family in Central New York. STUBBORN is available in ebook, print and audiobook at all major online retailers. Look for THE HAUNT OF THIRTEEN CURVES in July 2014 and JUST AS STUBBORN, the second installment in the STUBBORN series, in January 2015.
Author's Giveawaya Rafflecopter giveaway